I also need to clarify... I stated before that the children we will be adopting are "special needs." All children that have been in foster care are labeled "special needs." It's not because of any impairments, it's because the life they've led has caused unique traits. For a child to be available for adoption their parent's rights have been terminated due to abuse, abandonment and/or neglect. Any and all of these things effect the brain development, behaviors, physical development, attitudes, etc. of children. When their needs aren't met their brains develop and process differently. Every adult they have loved and trusted has failed them, why should Tom and I be any different - this causes attachment disorders, which can manifest in many different forms.
Therefore, they are all labeled special needs. This is also why we have to do all of the classes and meetings and such. It's to prepare us as best they can for the upheaval these children will bring into our home.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment