Tuesday, February 16, 2010

There seemed to be a brief period of time when there weren't any kids we wanted to know more about, or the ones we were seeking info on we weren't really excited about. There is a brother and sister we are looking at now that I can see in our home: Kajon 9 (M)/Kajonae 6 (F). Their names, though... I keep calling them "cajun" and "cajunay" but it's probably more like "kay-john" and "kay-johnny"??
We still haven't heard anything about 2 boys that I mentioned before, Dario and Austin - we're still open to learning more about them, if we ever do.
There are 2 boys listed on the MNadopt website without pictures and it says they require assistance from others. We finally asked about them and found out they are both autistic, one is severe and profound. I have worked with the severely autistic on and off for 2 years, I don't think I can voluntarily take 2 of them on as my children for the rest of their lives. Though, some of the kids we could adopt may need the help of an adult for the rest of their lives as well.
Once a month Suzanne has a "task force" meeting where new kids are presented, she has been sending us flyers from these meetings for the past couple of months. We just received a packet this weekend, most, as usual are individual kids. There is one group in there that I would ask more about if Kajon and Kajonae don't work out. They are young (5,4 and 2) and the oldest has Down's Syndrome. Again, it's a lifelong commitment to parenting such a child, but some are more independent than others. I don't know how much you can tell at age 5, especially with the background of foster care, etc.

No comments: